On September 22, 1994 the first episode of Friends aired on NBC, and since then the series, characters and its infamous taglines have become a global phenomenon. After 236 episodes and ten season run on-air, the beloved series went into syndication episodes on a number of networks, and in 2015 Netflix acquired the exclusive rights to stream the original broadcast episodes; eventually becoming one of most watched shows on the platform, until the close of 2019!
I know I can’t be the only person to binge watch Friends over and over again! It is seriously a classic that never gets old! So, how can you watch Friends now? The only way to get Friends: The Complete Series commercial free is on Digital, Blu-ray, and DVD! All individual seasons and compilation sets of Friends are available to purchase on www.OwnFriendsTV.com. All seasons are also available to own at all major digital retailers including iTunes, VUDU, Amazon Prime, and Google. DVD and Blu-ray sets can be purchased from all major retailers including Amazon, Target and Walmart.
10 Fun Friends Facts That Every Fan Should Know:
- Before the show was cast, the main love story was intended to be between Monica and Joey.
Other titles considered for the show were “Friends Like Us”, “Six of One”, “Across the Hall”, and “Insomnia Cafe”
In the early seasons, Monica and Rachel’s apartment is shown with the number five on the door. It was later changed to twenty.
- The opening of the show has a fountain in it that looks like Pulitzer Fountain in Central Park, but it was actually shot on the Warner Bros. lot in Burbank, California.
- When Lisa Kudrow got pregnant with her son, the writers decided to write her pregnancy into the show by having Phoebe act as a surrogate for her brother’s triplets.
- The famous manager of Central Perk, Gunther, didn’t actually have a name until the middle of the second season. He also didn’t speak for 33 whole episodes.
- Courteney Cox, who played Monica, is actually older than David Schwimmer who played Ross, despite Monica being Ross’ younger sister on the show.
- Lisa Kudrow didn’t know how to play the guitar. The actress struggled with learning guitar for the character, ultimately receiving lessons and mastering at least a few chords. Before that, though, Lisa suggested switching the stringed instrument for bongos.
Joey and Chandler’s big white dog actually belonged to Jennifer Aniston. A friend gave it to her as a good-luck gift when the show started.
- In the first season, each of the main six cast members received $22,000 per episode. In 1997, they banded together to negotiate a salary increase to $100,000 per episode. It was the first time in TV history that cast members had done this. By the final season, they each got $1,000,000 per episode.