Guest Post Provided By CakeMaternity.com
Maternity bras and underwear have come a long way over the past 10 years. Bras are no longer matronly, big, boring and uncomfortable! In fact, maternity bras can look just like your regular bras apart from a few extra bells and whistles to aid fit, support, structure and feeding. One common complaint from women is that a lot of non-wire maternity bras give you an unflattering shape. Whilst, this is also changing, a maternity flexible wired bra is a great alternative. They contain a soft malleable wire that will move with your body, unlike regular wired bras that are hard and rigid. A well-designed flexible wired maternity bra will provide good levels of support and a flattering rounded shape.Is it safe to wear a flexible wired bra during pregnancy and breastfeeding? The short answer is yes: but during certain periods! There are times when a flexible wire is not appropriate and should not be worn.
When to avoid wearing a flexible wire. Avoid wearing a flexible wire bra during the transitional periods i.e. First 6 weeks of pregnancy and first 6 weeks post birth. It is during these times that your breasts are growing and changing dramatically in size. A fluctuating breast will become restricted and compressed in a bra that has a wire. This is when conditions such as mastitis can occur.
TIP: Wear a seamless maternity bra during this time, they are available in sizes XS-XXL and will contain a range of different bust sizes within each size. A good seamless maternity bra will stretch and change with your growing body, while offering moderate levels of support for all day wear. The best thing is that a seamless maternity bra will provide comfort and that much needed relief in what can often be a difficult time for women, as their breasts will feel sore and swollen.
Wear a flexible wire. You can choose to wear a flexible wired maternity bra at approximately 6 weeks of pregnancy when your breast growth has stabilized, right through to 9 months of pregnancy. It you decide to wear a flexible wire nursing bra, it is advised to wait until approximately 8 weeks post birth or when your body has learnt to regulate the milk supply needed by your baby.
Fitting a flexible wired bra. When buying a flexible wired bra for the first time it is very important to make sure that the bra fits you correctly. During the course of pregnancy and your breastfeeding journey thus far your breasts have been through a lot of change and it is unlikely that you will know you correct size at this time. It is our advice that you get fitted by a professional bra fitter to ensure that you get the correct size and to make sure the flexible wire sits neatly under and around the breast tissue. It must not at any time be sitting on or pressing up against any breast tissue. A flexible wire nursing bra should always feel comfortable when on, it should contain your breasts fully, be firm and should not restrict your movements in any way.
Pros and Cons of a flexible wired bra
- Great shape
- Added support, particularly for a larger bust
- The bra does not have to be as big in design when it contains a flexible wire. Some of these maternity & nursing bras may contain a plunging neckline.
- Cannot be worn during transitional periods
- Is not as supportive as a ridged wire found in mainstream bras
- A flexible wire will not push the center front of the bra up against the breastbone. The bra will sit slightly away from the chest. This is because the wire is not ridged enough.
Features of a flexible wired bra
A well-designed flexible wire maternity bra will contain the following features:
- A strong malleable wire
- A flexible wire that has a wide set in order to sit around the breast tissue
- Strong wire channel to hold the flexible wire in place
- Should have play at either end of the wire channel to allow for movement without popping out the ends
- Should have good cup coverage
- Lower center front for versatility of outer wear
- Strong supportive/adjustable straps
- Strong double layered back band for added support
- 6 hooks and eyes for easy adjustment
- A frame sling for discretion and support
- Drop down cups for feeding
- Secure under band for a firm comfortable fit
About Tracey Montford: Like many women out there, Tracey Montford is an exceptional multi-tasker! Apart from steering a global business, managing 2 young boys & keeping the clan clean and fed, Tracey still finds time to provide creative inspiration and direction to the exceptional designs of Cake Maternity. From the branding, presentation and delivery, creativity is a big part of what Tracey does so naturally and effectively. Find out more at https://www.cakematernity.com or catch up with her on social @cakematernity